ROBERT W. SMITH: Known as a world’s leading authority on Asian martial arts, Smith has practiced, taught, and written on the Asian martial arts for more than fifty years. From his late teens he trained under eminent Western boxing and wrestling coaches and later immersed himself in judo and finally the Chinese martial arts under celebrated masters. He taught many students in the latter arts in the Washington D.C. area where he worked as an intelligence officer for the CIA.
Martial Musings: A Portrayal of Martial Arts in the 20th Century
- martial arts theory and practice
- portrayals of leading Asian instructors
- Westerners who were among the first to study martial arts in Asia and return to their own countries to initiate and develop the arts
- a detailed historical record of the evolution of martial arts in the West
- a philosophical treatment of martial arts as exhibited in modern practice.
6"x9" paperback, 395 pages, over 300 illustrations.